5.21.2011

Day 03 - A Song That Makes You Cry

If you know me, you know this one is a toughie.  I love music and many songs, even ones that I don't personally relate to, can make me tear up, both because they are so sweet and because they are so sad.  Today though I think I'll focus on one that made me cry in a good way.

I have always loved - no adored - the song "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes.  It is simple and sweet, and most importantly, it is honest.  It doesn't paint a picture of a grandiose, fairy tale kind of love; it speaks of real and imperfect love.  When I met my husband he knew about Bright Eyes, but I don't think he was a big fan of the band the way I was.  Despite this, for our first Christmas one of my gifts was a special single edition of the song.  When he put it on and the song started playing, I started crying and I think I scared him -  he thought he had done something wrong.  But then I explained the reason for my tears.  Yes, it was his fault, but it was not because he had done something wrong.  It was because he had given me what I heard about in that song for so many years. 

"First Day of My Life" now holds a special place in both our lives.  On October 3, 2009, we danced our first dance as husband and wife to this song.  Any time I hear it I both instantly smile and get a little teary.  And sometime I don't even have to hear it to feel that way - I feel the same way when JR is out somewhere and hears the song and I get a text message saying "Our song is on!"  In fact, I must admit that I've gotten a little teared up sitting here writing this.

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment